To apply for a Medical Cannabis Delivery License fill out the application and bring to The Hub at City Hall.
How Does the Adult Use of Marijuana Act Affect the City of La Quinta?
The Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA) became effective on November 9, 2016. The AUMA legalizes personal consumption, personal cultivation and a commercial cannabis industry. The following summarizes some of the key provisions in the AUMA.
Personal Consumption and Cultivation
- Legalizes cannabis use for persons over 21 years of age.
- Allows for persons over 21 to possess, transport, purchase, obtain or give away up to 28.5 grams of non-concentrated or 8 grams of concentrated marijuana.
- Persons over 21 years of age are allowed to cultivate up to six (6) marijuana plants within a private residence, inclusive of within a greenhouse or other structure on the same parcel of the property that is not visible from a public space. A residence includes single-family homes, multi-family apartment units and mobile homes.
- No smoking of marijuana is allowed in public places (except where authorized locally).
- No smoking of marijuana is allowed where smoking tobacco is prohibited.
- Local governments may reasonably regulate but not prohibit personal indoor cultivation.
- Local governments may regulate or prohibit personal outdoor cultivation.
Current Status of Cannabis Regulations in the City of La Quinta
In anticipation of potential voter approval of the Adult Use of Marijuana Act, at the November 1, 2016 meeting, City Council approved an interim moratorium on the establishment, creation or expansion of commercial cannabis uses, and outdoor cultivation of cannabis. At the December 6, 2016 meeting, City Council extended the interim moratorium to July 4, 2017.
The intent in approving the interim moratorium was to allow for City staff to bring back sensible cannabis regulations for City Council consideration informed by stakeholder outreach.
Additional Information & Resources
City Council Staff Report for Marijuana Considerations November 1, 2016: Marijuana Update 12/06/16
City Council Staff Report for Marijuana Business Moratorium Extension December 6, 2016: Marijuana Update 12/06/2016
The Adult Use of Marijuana Act Text Proposition 64
League of California Cities Medical Marijuana Information Page
League of California Cities Adult Use of Marijuana Information Page
California Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation
For questions regarding the application please contact Gil Villalpando at email@example.com or 760.777.7094